Log in   •   Log in to PM   •   Register  •   Profile   •  Search  •   Memberlist   •   FAQ

Errors and Forum Outages...

Reply to topic

View next topic
View previous topic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 22:56 Reply with quoteBack to top

Nishi posts:

sylvii wrote:
No one ever answered my question.

I was just thinking the other day that this forum seems to be practicing the Delphi techique rofl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 23:01 Reply with quoteBack to top

Nishi posts:

sylvii wrote:
Thanks Nishi….appreciate it! thumb

p.s. did you get rid of yours?

Yes, I think so, but I am probably going to reinstall windows anyway just to be sure all traces are gone. It is long overdue - I need to redo the partition structure on one of my hard drives - have been putting it off for more than 3 years because it's such a PITA. I guess I needed this to motivate me. Grinning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:44 Reply with quoteBack to top

sylvii posts:

hahaha……sounds like you are 'creating' quite efficiently. thumb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:58 Reply with quoteBack to top

Markus posts:

Nishi wrote:
Yes, I think so, but I am probably going to reinstall windows anyway just to be sure all traces are gone. It is long overdue - I need to redo the partition structure on one of my hard drives - have been putting it off for more than 3 years because it's such a PITA. I guess I needed this to motivate me. Grinning

Btw, there is an excellent tool for managing partitions (on the fly without reformatting): Acronis Disk Director … I have been using it for years.

Markus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 15:20 Reply with quoteBack to top

sylvii posts:

After downloading IE8 yesterday…..and, then discovering it still has 'snags'….I'm endeavoring to downgrade back to IE7.

Many website aren't yet compatible with IE8 plus other 'glitches'. Note this article:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Infotech/Internet-Explorer-8-hits-snags/articleshow/4308392.cms

…just in case anyone was thinking of doing IE8.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 16:07 Reply with quoteBack to top

sylvii posts:

Nope, not going to downgrade to IE7…..just 'sitting tight'. I've found that for websites which aren't totally compatible with IE8, there is a button I can click in address bar which puts website back into compatible view……which is what I did here.

So, everything is cool. I'll just upgrade as IE8 upgrades.

…..ok, I'm thru rambling and thinking outloud now…… Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:31 Reply with quoteBack to top

Markus posts:

Another outage yesterday. But I guess I'm getting a clue about how it happened. I made a change and we will have to see if it happens again.

Markus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 17:14 Reply with quoteBack to top

Calotcha posts:

Nishi wrote:

sylvii wrote:
Nishi, (or anyone) this probably sounds like a dumb question, but how can you tell when you've picked up trojan?

I had one that was causing pop up ads every time I ran a search on google, and disabled windows update.

Fun, wasn't it? LOL! Smile

I got the same one last week on one of my pcs. Just when i thought i had one of the best antivirus programs. Anyway, i then went searching for the one anitvirus program that could stop that one trojan. I loaded that same trojan on a different pc and tested it with 4 more supposedly good antivirus programs. A few would detect it but could not stop it. The only one that stopped it was AVAST………and it's for free. I was going to try MALWAREBYTES, but found out it was too slow when doing a scan……….so i never really got to try it on that trojan. The strange thing about that trojan is that once you download the file, no antivirus program willl detect it unless you first open it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 21:42 Reply with quoteBack to top

Kimi Kaio posts:

sylvii wrote:
Nope, not going to downgrade to IE7…..just 'sitting tight'. I've found that for websites which aren't totally compatible with IE8, there is a button I can click in address bar which puts website back into compatible view……which is what I did here.

So, everything is cool. I'll just upgrade as IE8 upgrades.

…..ok, I'm thru rambling and thinking outloud now…… Wink

Eeek, I did that. But it slowed my computer & too much trouble w/ websites even w/ compatible button. I tried to go back to 7 but it wouldn't. I had to uninstall both. I'm now on Firefox.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 23:27 Reply with quoteBack to top

Nishi posts:

Calotcha wrote:
Fun, wasn't it? LOL! Smile

I got the same one last week on one of my pcs. Just when i thought i had one of the best antivirus programs. Anyway, i then went searching for the one anitvirus program that could stop that one trojan. I loaded that same trojan on a different pc and tested it with 4 more supposedly good antivirus programs. A few would detect it but could not stop it. The only one that stopped it was AVAST………and it's for free. I was going to try MALWAREBYTES, but found out it was too slow when doing a scan……….so i never really got to try it on that trojan. The strange thing about that trojan is that once you download the file, no antivirus program willl detect it unless you first open it.

Fun? hahahaha The funny part is that I have gotten by for years without using any antivirus programs - just kept a firewall going that was enough, and did an occasional Housecall scan just to be sure. Well, I got the first trojan ever a few weeks ago. Nothing would clean it up - housecall wouldn't even run at all. I tried different things and each program took away a piece of it but not the whole thing. And Malwarebytes cleaned up the most stuff. I left AVG installed just to see how it would work. So turns out in the meantime, I picked up another trojan. AVG just tattled about it - didn't clean it or anything, LOL. Now I'm running Avast, and of course it found infected system files the others didn't even notice. But I don't trust any of these scanners, I'm going to reinstall everything.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 23:47 Reply with quoteBack to top

Nishi posts:

Markus wrote:
Btw, there is an excellent tool for managing partitions (on the fly without reformatting): Acronis Disk Director … I have been using it for years.

Markus

Thanks Markus. Can Acronis hide partitions? I used to have a system set up to dual boot XP and FreeDos, and I planned to eventually install Linux, but it got zapped by lightning. The hard drive was okay so I just popped it into my new computer as a second drive. Windows pretty much pissed itself when I did that, since the second drive already had 3 primary partitions. LOL I was too aggravated with all of it then to fix it, so just got it working and left it alone. I miss playing DOS games, so I am definitely putting freedos back. I used FDisk and XOSL before, but as I remember it was nerve wracking to get it all to work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:31 Reply with quoteBack to top

Ahmed posts:

Nishi wrote:

Markus wrote:

Markus

Thanks Markus. Can Acronis hide partitions? I used to have a system set up to dual boot XP and FreeDos, and I planned to eventually install Linux, but it got zapped by lightning. The hard drive was okay so I just popped it into my new computer as a second drive. Windows pretty much pissed itself when I did that, since the second drive already had 3 primary partitions. LOL I was too aggravated with all of it then to fix it, so just got it working and left it alone. I miss playing DOS games, so I am definitely putting freedos back. I used FDisk and XOSL before, but as I remember it was nerve wracking to get it all to work.

Hi Nishi,

Although I agree with Markus that Acronis is a great partitioning software, its not free. A good free one is Easus Partition Master ( http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm ), which should cover all of your partitioning needs, incl hiding partitions. Only difference between the free and pay versions is that the latter can work with 64bit systems and makes a bootable CD.

Another good free partition software is Parted Magic ( http://partedmagic.com/ ), which does even more and works well with Linux based systems, but may be a bit more complex than the other two above. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 16:43 Reply with quoteBack to top

sylvii posts:

For anyone interested in the latest upcoming 'worm':

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090327/ap_on_hi_te/tec_conficker_countdown_1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 23:51 Reply with quoteBack to top

Gunslinger posts:

Markus,

I just got this error posting a reply to Beth's blog. Then I refreshed the home page and came back here to post this:

phpBB : Critical Error

Error doing DB query userdata row fetch

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1053 Server shutdown in progress

SELECT u.*, s.* FROM phpbb_sessions s, phpbb_users u WHERE s.session_id = 'aeb393df1c74255617d1a22a4335add1' AND u.user_id = s.session_user_id

Line : 321
File : sessions.php

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:39 Reply with quoteBack to top

patternwalker posts:

Nishi wrote:

sylvii wrote:
No one ever answered my question.

I was just thinking the other day that this forum seems to be practicing the Delphi techique rofl

Just write down what you feel needs to be changed about the forum and pass it to the group director. Smile

Reply to topic
View next topic
View previous topic