Log in   •   Log in to PM   •   Register  •   Profile   •  Search  •   Memberlist   •   FAQ

Using the Forum (formatting, custom smileys, pictures, etc.)

Reply to topic

View next topic
View previous topic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 16:48 Reply with quoteBack to top

Markus posts:

Basic Forum Features

User Avatars, Signatures, Homepage Links

If you go to the Profile menu (which is on top of your screen below the blue bar) you will be able to add a homepage to your profile (only visible to forum users), enter a signature (which will be attached to the end of your posts) and either upload a user picture (avatar) or select an avatar from our gallery of predefined pictures (through the avatar-gallery button at the bottom of the profile).

For uploading avatar pictures, there are size restrictions (file size and dimensions). The max dimension of the picture is 96 pixels (height and width), the max file size is 8KB. You can resize your pictures via http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ or if you have Photoshop, use Image->Image-Size->80x80 and then File->Save-for-Web (JPG-Medium) to create avatar images.

Please do not use animated pictures as avatars.

BB-Code

There are some specific codes which can be inserted into your text allow you to control the appearance of the text. Those so called BB-Code commands are tags which are enclosed in sqare brackets. To use them correctly, make sure that you use opening and closing sqare brackets and do not add additional spaces or other things inside the command, but use them exactly as they appear in the green example boxes below.

About Tags in General

Tags usually come in pairs, a start tag and an end tag (like start-italic-text, end-italic-text). The end-tag is normally simply the same as the start tag, just with an extra slash / character. I.e. [something] and [/something].

Tags can be nested, like putting a box into a box, just the pairs need to match (and closed in reverse order):
[magic] blah blah [special] blah blah [/special] blah [/magic].

Text Highlighting

The commands for text highlighting are b (for bold), i (for italics), u (for underlining) and del (for strikeout). To highlight parts of your text put the command in sqare brackets before and the command with a slash and sqare brackets after the highlighted text like this:
Code:
In this text some parts will appear [b]bold[/b] or [i]in italics[/i] or even [u]underlined[/i] and [del]struck out[/del].

In this text some parts will appear bold or in italics or even underlined and struck out.

Quotes

To generate quoted text, it is simply necessary, to put the [ quote ] before and [ /quote ] after the text which should appear in a gray quote box, e.g.
Code:
 [quote] Some quoted blurp [/quote]

will appear as

Quote:
Some quoted blurp

Named Quotes

It is also possible to designate the author of a quote by adding ="author" to the opening quote command, e.g.
Code:
 [quote="Hugo"] Some quoted blurp [/quote]

will appear as

Hugo wrote:
Some quoted blurp

Nested Quotes

As mentioned above, tags can appear inside tags, so quotes can appear inside quotes. E.g. if you quote Hugo who had quoted Jane you will see something like this:

Code:
[quote="Hugo"] <-- start quote box for hugo
[quote="Jane"] <--- start a quote box for jane inside hugo's box
Jane's blurp
[/quote] <--- endign jane's box
Some thing which hugo said
[/quote]  <-- ending hugo's box

On screen this will appear like:

Hugo wrote:

Jane wrote:
Jane's blurp

Something which hugo said

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 14:00 Reply with quoteBack to top

Markus posts:

Other Smileys

Here is another instruction for using smileys from other resources:

Two good smiley resource are here:
Cosgan's Smilies

To use it, go through the following steps:

1) Select a category and a smilie type (smilie, mids, kaos)

2) Click on a smiley which you like

3) Note the field at the bottom which will display some text like

Code:
[img]https://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/a050.gif[/img]

4) Press Ctrl+C to copy that text into the clipboard of your computer

5) Create a forum message (or switch to the editor where you are creating one) and press Ctrl+V to paste the text into your message.

When you submit the the post, the Cogan smiley will appear automagically …

Markus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 14:14 Reply with quoteBack to top

Markus posts:

Using Pictures in Posts

If you have a picture on your computer and want to include it in a forum post, here's what to do:

1) Got to a picture hosting site, e.g. https://de.imgbb.com/ or https://postimages.org/ or similar.

2) Select the upload button there and select the file which you saved (e.g. vlad.webp or pillars.jpg).

Alternative 1:

3) On the next page, if there's an Embed-Codes field. Select "BB-Codes/Thumbnails" or "Forum Link" or something similar (depending on the website), press Ctrl+C to copy the code into your clipboard.

4) Create a forum message (or switch to a message which you are already editing) and press Ctrl+V in the place where you want a picture to appear.

5) You should see something like:

Code:
[url=https://ibb.co/k5Wvy1M][img]https://i.ibb.co/k5Wvy1M/vlad.webp[/img][/url]

6) In the final post, the result will look like

Alternative 2:

3) If there is no Thumbnails for forums selection there, or if you want to include the full picture rather than a thumbnail, then either get the image link from their site (e.g. "direct link" on postimages.org) or view the picture on their site, right-click and select "Copy Image URL" in your browser.

6) Create a message here on the forum. Type Ctrl+V, to paste the link into the message. Then mark the text with the mouse and press the Img button above the text-area where you type the forum message. The part of the text should then be enclosed in img tags look like this:

Code:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/DySssHFD/pillars.jpg[/img]

7) The result in the final post will look like this:

Enjoy …

Markus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 20:05 Reply with quoteBack to top

Markus posts:

Quick formatting for Bold/Italic/Underline

For single words or short group of words (but not sentences or something that contains special characters beyond a comma) you can use the following

Code:
Here are some **bold words**.
A sentence containing //something italic// somewhere.
An important word being __underlined__ quickly.

Which will then look like this:

Here are some bold words.
A sentence containing something italic somewhere.
An important word being underlined quickly.

Horizontal Lines

I just added a little feature to the board which allows you to add a horizontal line to posts.

To do that just type

Code:
[hr]

And a horizontal line like this
will appear in your post.

Markus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 15:59 Reply with quoteBack to top

Markus posts:

As another special feature this forum also supports wiki-links. Words enclosed in double square brackets create a link pointing to the corresponding word in the blueflash wiki dictionary.

Additionally the the feature can be used for regular links and session links like this:

Code:
[[acceptance]]

[[e-man|Elias]]

[[www.emtec.com]]

[[EmTec|www.emtec.com]]

[[Session #270]]

[[Elias Intro|Session #270]]

acceptance

e-man

www.emtec.com

EmTec

Session #270

Elias Intro

Markus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 18:59 Reply with quoteBack to top

Markus posts:

There are also some simplified formatting features which are also in line with the wikis (Dictionary and Mansion) on this site:

Enclose text between double-underliner chars and it will become underlined.
    Lines starting with one, two or three exclamation marks will become increasingly large headlines

Code:

** bold **

// italic //

__underlined!__

! small headline

!! medium headline

!!! big headline

bold

italic

underlined

small headline

medium headline

big headline

Markus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 14:39 Reply with quoteBack to top

Markus posts:

Catching up with new posts

Here are two forum features which help you to catch up with new posts (just in case you missed these).

List threads with new posts since last visit

Jump to first new post in thread
(these fields are not just indicators, you can click them!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 16:30 Reply with quoteBack to top

Markus posts:

Embedding YouTube

When you go to YouTube you will find a "Share" button below the videos. A window will open and one of the selections is named "Embed". Some text will show on the right and there is a "copy" button.

If you copy the text into a forum message you will see something like this:

Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0C-4Z2CUCfE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Please don't change the default options there).

In the post, it will then look like this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0C-4Z2CUCfE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:23 Reply with quoteBack to top

Rose posts:

I have looked a bit, but not VERY much. It might be provided, in another thread perhaps? The Q is, can one tag a person, in here (in the forum)?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:13 Reply with quoteBack to top

Markus posts:

Rose_2 wrote:
I have looked a bit, but not VERY much. It might be provided, in another thread perhaps? The Q is, can one tag a person, in here (in the forum)?

No, but it's an interesting idea.

Markus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:26 Reply with quoteBack to top

Rose posts:

Markus wrote:
No, but it's an interesting idea.

Markus

thx. appreciate

bow

Edit in: I "tagged" u in the music thread.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 22:21 Reply with quoteBack to top

Rose posts:

How do u do that, linking a document into a written text (like the document of the exercise that u linked today)? Is there somewhere a tuturial of that, that i (might) have overlooked?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 23:13 Reply with quoteBack to top

Markus posts:

Rose_2 wrote:
How do u do that, linking a document into a written text (like the document of the exercise that u linked today)? Is there somewhere a tuturial of that, that i (might) have overlooked?

If you have a place to store it, then you can place a link to it.

Markus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 23:40 Reply with quoteBack to top

Rose posts:

Markus wrote:

Thx.
U mean, like e.g. a website?

And if I don't have such a place? what then?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:11 Reply with quoteBack to top

Ali_M posts:

Rose_2 wrote:

Markus wrote:

Thx.
U mean, like e.g. a website?

And if I don't have such a place? what then?

Google Docs. If you have a gmail acct, you can use it to access it.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/

Reply to topic
View next topic
View previous topic